Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cloth diapers

Ok, this is a long rather boring diaper review blog post, but I know there are a few people out there who might find this interesting/helpful. For those of you who don't know I've been using cloth diapers now for three years, I bought a sample pack before Hannah was born picked a kind and went with it. Well, now they have lots more kinds out there and I decided to try a new one. So for those of you who use cloth diapers or are thinking of using cloth diapers here's a review of the bumGenius and FuzziBunz one size diapers. As I just got a FuzziBunz one size to try because I was intrigued by the description and it was on sale for 13.95 (I found them cheaper today, but you have to pay shipping if your order is under $49 check out this link for the close out sale price on daisy print). I love bunGenius, but they aren't working well on Evie because she's so thin I can't get them to stay up and she always has gaps around the legs. So I wanted to see what else was out there. The new FuzziBunz one size are pretty nifty. They have adjustable elastic on the legs and back. The elastic has button holes in it (like they're doing for lots of toddler pants now) and so you just button the elastic to whatever size works for you. Which makes a nice snug fit around the back and legs. And super simple to replace! They also have snaps, which takes a little longer to put on, but stays on when you have a kid that likes to take off their diaper. The FuzziBunz does not have the protection in the front like the bumGenius to keep the waste line from seeping through and I don't like the pocket insert as it's just an open hold in the back, I like how bumGenius does that much better. But with that said I think if/when we have another kid in diapers I'll definitely include some FuzziBunz one size in my assortment (I think my bumGenius diapesr will last through Evie, that's why I only got one FuzziBunz to try and probably won't get anymore at this point in time because I can't justify it). I have to say after replacing most of my bumGenius elastic I love the way FuzziBunz does it.
So here's my overview of pros and cons for bumGenius and FuzziBunz


bumGenius

Pros:
one size adjustable
velcro (way more waste adjustment, quick and easy, not scary for babysitters)
front leak prevention
rear insert protection

Cons:
velcro (kids can pull it off)
limited size adjustment in legs
sewing needed to replace all elastic


FuzziBunz

Pros:
one size adjustable
leg and waste elastic adjustment
easy replacement of elastic
snaps

Cons:
No front leak guard protection
pocket insert has no cover (although this could be a plus because it makes it easier to dump the insert out without touching it)
snaps (if you have a squirmy baby)

1 comment:

  1. Good information! We're planning to up our diaper stash a little when #2 is born (we're naming him Nathan Samuel, by the way), but I think we'll be sticking to the bumGenius ones. I'm hoping that our two will be close enough in build that what worked well for one will work for the other.

    We made sure to take BG up on the one-year warranty with the diapers we already have. Just before the year was up, we sent them back because stretched-out elastic is covered in the warranty. We kept the inserts, but they replaced all the diapers with new ones. Eventually I expect to want to replace the elastic on them myself, but we figured if we paid for a warranty we'd take them up on it.

    ReplyDelete