For many of my growing up years I had the privilege of living within biking distance of my grandparents. I loved the interaction this allowed. I learned many things from my Grandfather. I watched as he loved his wife and stuck by her until the end. Almost 65 years! I saw him manage his money well, he retired early! I benefited from his incredible generosity. I learned practical things while working with him at Habitat for Humanity, such as how to break into a house :-) But as I think about it the memories I will forever cherish are of watching him interact with my kids.
Often it involved lots of skype, starting when Evie was about six months old we started skyping weekly with my grandparents. Grandad would play peek-a-boo, pretend to join the kids for lunch or make funny faces and sounds. He was having virtual doctor check-ups from my girls way before there was an app for that! He'd "take" a cup of hot tea and pretend to spill it on himself and make the girls laugh and laugh. He interacted so well, even over the computer!
And when we were together in person the kids could never get enough of him! From shoulder rides
Thank you Grandad for living and loving well! You will be missed!
No comments:
Post a Comment