Saturday, March 4, 2017

The Sad Reality

Over the past two months I've discovered I'm allergic to corn. Not like anaphylactic shock allergic, just the sneezing drippy nose allergic. It explains so much in my life. But some of my favorite foods are corn based, like popcorn! Most of my life I've said I'm allergic to the morning. I'd sneeze every morning for a few hours with a drippy nose and then it'd stop until the next day. Although in the past year this had gotten worse with it continuing on through the day and starting to wake me up at night. Nathan had concluded I was allergic to some kind of food, but he kept saying garlic so I didn't believe him.
Several months ago I noticed I was getting headaches after eating popcorn, that along with some other things I did, I decided I should try cutting corn out of my diet. In the past couple weeks I have dived into this new adventure researching, logging what I eat and symptoms, and trying to cut out anything that says "corn" in the label. Did you know things like baking power and powder sugar have corn in them? There are lots of additional additives that are derived from corn, I'm hoping I don't have to cut all those out, but we'll see.
What difference has this made you ask? I'm not sneezing everyday, my nose isn't dripping nearly as much. And I've discovered antihistamines work for me, which have never made a difference before. I'm still sure I have environmental allergies as well, but if I can eliminate a major source of reaction I figure it's worth it.
Now I just have to get better at reading labels. I made pizza last weekend and had sneezing/drippy nose issues several days this week after having been clear for two weeks. I couldn't figure it out until I went shopping today and was reading the label on the tomato sauce I normally by, it had corn syrup in it. And it took me reading four different tortilla labels until I found one that didn't have corn in it. But I'm excited I found one.
The girls (especially Evie) are enjoying reading labels now and telling me what I can't eat. :-) At least I have some help in this no adventure......and no, I cannot eat donuts, Nathan did ask at the store today when picking them up for everyone else if there were any that are corn free. Some of the pluses are that I already make most of my food, and for things like donuts, I can make those myself and make them corn free.

No comments:

Post a Comment